The world of televisions is continuously evolving, with advancements in technology and competitive pricing making it easier than ever to find the perfect TV for your home. From 4K to 8K resolutions, OLED to QLED panels, and various smart TV platforms, there are plenty of options to choose from. In this comprehensive guide, we have compiled the best TVs of 2023, covering a range of budgets, sizes, and features to help you make an informed decision on your next television purchase.
1. Best Overall TV: LG C2 Evo OLED TV
The LG C2 Evo OLED TV is our top pick for the best overall TV in 2023. This mid-range OLED TV offers stunning picture quality, with close-to-perfect color performance and effectively infinite contrast thanks to its perfect black levels. LG’s WebOS interface may be slightly clunky, but it comes packed with features such as hands-free voice assistants, Apple AirPlay 2, and a web browser. With its incredible all-around package, the LG C2 Evo OLED TV is an excellent choice for anyone looking to splurge on a high-quality television.
- Most accurate digital cinema color we’ve seen on a TV
- 120Hz panel with incredibly low input lag
- G-Sync Compatible and supports AMD FreeSync Premium
- WebOS offers Apple AirPlay, multiple voice assistants, and a web browser
- Remote control and WebOS are a bit clunky
- No hands-free Google Assistant
2. Best Value TV: Hisense U8H
The Hisense U8H is our pick for the best value TV in 2023. As the successor to the highly popular Hisense U8G from 2021, the U8H offers a fantastic picture, a wide array of features, and a competitive price point. Although it does exhibit some light bloom, its bright panel, vibrant colors, and Google TV platform with hands-free Google Assistant make it an excellent deal for those looking for an affordable yet high-quality television.
- Excellent contrast and color range
- Google TV with hands-free Google Assistant and Google Cast
- Solid gaming features and performance
- Occasional light bloom
- Confusing pricing strategy
3. Best Budget TV: TCL 6-Series 4K Google TV
For those on a budget, the TCL 6-Series 4K Google TV is a top choice. Offering impressive contrast and color performance, the 6-Series strikes a great balance between picture quality and affordability. The Google TV platform provides a sleek interface with hands-free Google Assistant and Google Cast support, making it an excellent option for budget-conscious shoppers.
- Excellent contrast and color performance
- Google TV with Google Cast and hands-free Google Assistant
- Low input lag
- No AMD FreeSync or Nvidia G-Sync
- No Apple AirPlay
4. Best High-End TV: Samsung S95C OLED TV
For those seeking a premium TV with top-notch performance, the Samsung S95C OLED TV is the best choice. As the brightest OLED TV we’ve seen to date, the S95C addresses a typical weakness of OLED panels compared to LED models: relative dimness. The S95C also offers incredibly wide and accurate colors, plenty of features, including AirPlay 2 and AMD FreeSync, and a sleek design that will make it the centerpiece of any living room.
- Incredibly bright for an OLED TV
- Fantastic color performance
- Low input lag
- AirPlay 2 support
- Amazon Alexa and Samsung Bixby voice assistants
- No Google Assistant support
5. Best Large Screen TV: Sony Bravia XR A95K OLED TV
For those seeking a large screen TV with excellent performance and unique features, the Sony Bravia XR A95K OLED TV is a top choice. Boasting a wide color range and impressive contrast, the A95K features a crisp, actuator-based sound system with speaker wire inputs, making it perfect for high-end home theater setups. The Google TV interface, Google Cast, and hands-free Google Assistant add to the overall appeal of this premium television.
- Very wide color range
- Google TV interface with Google Cast and hands-free Google Assistant
- Apple AirPlay 2 support
- Crisp, actuator-based sound system with speaker wire inputs
- Colors aren’t as accurate as competing OLED TVs
- Quantum dot layer compromises perfect black levels OLEDs should provide
- No AMD FreeSync or Nvidia G-Sync support for gaming
6. Best Outdoor TV: SunBriteTV Veranda 3 Series
If you’re looking for a TV that can withstand the elements, the SunBriteTV Veranda 3 Series is the best outdoor TV on the market. Designed to handle extreme temperatures, rain, snow, and dirt, the Veranda 3 offers excellent color range and reduced glare, making it perfect for covered decks and patios. The Android TV platform provides phone mirroring, streaming media, and voice control for a seamless outdoor viewing experience.
- Ruggedized for outdoor use
- Wide, accurate colors with Dolby Vision support
- Android TV provides phone mirroring, streaming media, and voice control
- Low input lag
- Doesn’t include a stand
- High black levels
7. Best Fire TV: Amazon Fire TV Omni QLED
The Amazon Fire TV Omni QLED is our top pick for the best Fire TV. With significant improvements in color and contrast over its predecessor, the Omni QLED offers a brighter picture and wider colors, as well as Apple AirPlay support and the convenient hands-free Alexa feature. While it may not be the brightest TV on the market, its low price and impressive feature set make it a solid choice for those seeking an Alexa-centric television.
- Excellent color and strong contrast
- Hands-free Amazon Alexa
- Not particularly bright
- Light bloom can overpower shadow detail
8. Best Gaming TV: Vizio M-Series Quantum X TV (65 and 75-Inch Models)
For gamers on a budget, the Vizio M-Series Quantum X TV (65 and 75-Inch Models) is the best option. With a 120Hz refresh rate, low input lag, and AMD FreeSync Premium support, this TV provides an immersive gaming experience without breaking the bank. Its high contrast and wide color gamut make it an excellent choice for both gaming and watching movies.
- Significantly brighter than 50-inch model
- High contrast and wide color
- Good gaming performance and features
- Apple AirPlay and Google Cast
- Blacks can look a bit washed-out with light bloom
9. Best Roku TV: TCL 6-Series 4K Roku TV
The TCL 6-Series 4K Roku TV is our top pick for the best Roku TV. With very high contrast, wide colors, and the simple, accessible Roku TV interface, this TV offers an excellent balance of performance and ease of use. Apple AirPlay compatibility makes it even more appealing for iPhone users.
- Very high contrast
- Wide colors
- Low input lag with AMD FreeSync Pro and 144Hz support
- White balance is a bit skewed out of the box
10. Best Small TV: Hisense U6H
For those seeking a smaller TV without compromising on quality, the Hisense U6H is an excellent choice. With fantastic color performance and a wide range of useful features, including Apple AirPlay, Google Cast, and hands-free Google Assistant, the U6H offers an impressive viewing experience at a budget-friendly price.
- Impressively wide and accurate color performance
- Google TV interface with hands-free Google Assistant
- Apple AirPlay support
- Mediocre contrast
- Slightly sluggish gaming performance
Related: The Best Wireless Speakers
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best TV for Your Needs
When shopping for the best TVs, it’s essential to consider factors such as resolution, panel type, smart TV platforms, screen size, and connections. In this buying guide, we’ll break down the most important aspects to help you make an informed decision.
1. Resolution: 4K vs. 8K
While 4K resolution has become the standard for most TVs on the market, 8K resolution is beginning to emerge. However, 8K content and compatible devices are still rare, and the price difference between 4K and 8K TVs is significant. For most consumers, a 4K TV will provide an excellent viewing experience without the added cost of an 8K model.
2. Panel Type: OLED vs. LED
OLED and LED TVs offer different benefits and drawbacks when it comes to picture quality. OLED TVs provide perfect black levels and excellent color accuracy but can be more expensive than LED TVs. On the other hand, LED TVs can be brighter and more affordable but may not offer the same level of contrast or color accuracy as OLED models. Ultimately, the choice between OLED and LED will depend on your budget and personal preferences.
3. Smart TV Platforms
Most modern TVs come with built-in smart TV platforms that allow you to access streaming services, apps, and other online content directly from your television. Some manufacturers, such as LG, Samsung, and Vizio, develop their own smart TV platforms, while others, like Hisense, Sony, and TCL, use third-party systems like Google TV and Roku TV. Consider the available smart TV platforms and the features they offer when choosing your television.
4. Screen Size and Viewing Distance
The optimal screen size for your TV will depend on the distance between your seating area and the television. As a general rule, the distance between your couch and your TV should be between 1.2 and 1.6 times the diagonal measurement of your screen. This will ensure a comfortable viewing experience without straining your eyes.
5. Connections: HDMI, eARC, and More
When choosing a TV, ensure it has enough HDMI ports to accommodate your devices, such as gaming consoles, Blu-ray players, and set-top boxes. Additionally, look for TVs with HDMI ports that support HDMI 2.0 or higher for 4K content and eARC for high-quality audio support.
With numerous options available, finding the best TV for your needs can be a daunting task. However, by considering factors such as resolution, panel type, smart TV platforms, screen size, and connections, you can make an informed decision and enjoy an optimal viewing experience. With our top picks and buying guide, you’ll be well on your way to selecting the perfect television for your home in 2023.